Have you had some time to sit and enjoy the warm summer days? If not, here is a perfect reason to pour yourself a large cool glass of lemonade (or whatever your favourite summer drink is) and take that glass outside. Find a spot that you can view your home; your going to go over this check list and see where you might need a little bit of maintenance done to keep your home at its best.
Today's checklist looks at the exterior of your home. The exterior of a home is the "skin" that provides protection from; weather, intruders (animal and human). Exteriors of homes are often not as well maintained as they could be. If the exterior components of your home aren't maintained damage can be costly. So, let's take a look, below is a list of items to watch for.
- Gutters & Downspouts - make sure they are free of blockages and attached well to the home, Downspouts should not drain onto lower roofs
- Trees and shrubs should be away from the exterior of the home, trees should not over hang roof or power lines,
- Wall surfaces - are they smooth and free of vines, cracks, rot, stains
- Door & Window trim - are they painted,weatherstripped, caulked well, free of rust or leaks,
- Porches, decks, or balconies - do they have a secure handrail, are they free of rot slipping or tripping hazards
- Stairs - are they free of slips or cracks, is there a secure hand rail
- Foundations & Window wells - check the slope of the grading, ensure there is no damage/cracks to walls, wood or soil around. Windos should be at least 6" above grade,
- Retaining walls - has there been movement in the wall, are their cracks
Good exteriors are attrative, durable and require maintenance. If you are concerned about something you see while your checking the exterior of your home, Island Building Inspections can provide you with an inspection specific to your needs. Call us at 250-339-5399. Until then, enjoy another glass of lemonade!